This year’s Mid-Autumn Festival falls on 19th Sep but since I will be taking a blog break soon, I want to try some mooncake recipes before the break starts. I eyed on this <Piggy Mooncakes> when I first saw them from my very respected friend, Ann@Anncoo Journal’s blog so this year, I told myself that I must give it a try! Do you like my chubby piggies? As you can see, my “youngest” is still on bottle, haha!
My 2nd & youngest were having a great bath time!
I want to thank Ann & Li Shuan again for answering all my queries about making these Piggy Mooncakes. Without them, I won’t be able to make them successfully!
(Recipe Source: Ann@AnncooJournal with Minor Adjustment)
150g Plain Flour
90g Golden Syrup
3g Alkaline Water@Lye Water, available in Chinese Grocery Shop
38g Vegetable Oil
3 x 60g Lotus Paste, store bought. Available in Chinese Grocery Shop – Roll into balls
2 x 60g Taro Paste, store bought. Available in Chinese Grocery Shop – Roll into balls
1 x Round 1/4tsp
A Small Plastic Sheet
10 Black Beans, rinsed & pat dry
(Recipe Source:Christine’s Recipes with Minor Adjustments)
1 Egg Yolk + 2tbsp Egg Whites + 2tsp Water
Mix all, then, pass through a fine strainer.
1. Please click here to view the steps of making the piggy mooncakes. Ann has provided a very detailed slide show on her blog.
Rest the dough for 40 minutes
Ready to send into the oven
2. To bake, place the piggy mooncakes on a lined baking tray. Bake in the 160C preheated oven(at lower middle level) for 8 minutes.
After 1st bake
3. Remove & let to cool down for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven to 150C.
4. After the break, continue to bake for 5 minutes. Remove again to cool down for 8-10 minutes.
5. Brush with egg wash & bake for 3 minutes. Remove immediately.
6. Cool down completely before storing in an air-tight container. Wait for at least 24 hours before consume to allow the mooncakes to become “soft.” They look better after 24 hours.
1. Every oven will react differently. I notice that my mooncakes are best baked for not more than 3 minutes after brushing with eggwash or the “skin” will become uneven colour.
2. I made 3 with lotus paste filling & 2 with taro paste filling.