Pages

Monday, 1 October 2012

Steamed Vegetarian Dumpling 红萝卜豆薯云耳蒸素饺


A while ago, I saw many blogger friends busy making these steamed vegetarian dumplings and you have no idea how much I wanted to do it straight away, hahaha! But since I had a feeling that the successful rate would only be 50%, so I keep delaying in making them until this morning, finally, I took some action!


今天是澳洲纽省的劳动节,老公一早就说:"走,去喝茶(吃点心)!"我说我想清静一下,叫他带孩子去,最後他约了老爷,奶奶和叔公一齐去点心楼!乐得清闲,要做什麽,面包?还是饺子?是饺子!

一直认为做饺子一定要叫齐姨妈姑姐,又或者几位姊妹才好玩,信心也会大些,因为在我心里,这个食谱的成功率只有五成,风险好大!就因为这样,前些时候看到姊妹们做这些饺子时,我只敢”looklook,”不敢动手,直到今天胆子大了,又想到做不成的话,最多再打多一次电话给Joceline,我的小老师(年龄比我小)求救不就可以咯!还好成品可以过关,虽然手忙脚乱,最後饺子总算可以拿出来见人,我真的好开心!要谢谢Joceline的提示,还有各位姊妹的食谱!不过呢还要继续努力学习把饺子捏好,如果能找到一位用左手写字的朋友一齐做更好,我可以摺右边,她摺左边,哈哈哈!

The dumpling skin turned transparent after steaming & it is very smooth to eat! 这饺子的皮比起这里点心楼吃的潮州粉果的皮还要来的薄和滑,很赞!

红萝卜豆薯云耳
Steamed Vegetarian Dumpling
Makes about 18 Dumplings

Filling Ingredients:
1 Medium Yam Bean@Sengkuang@Jicama (abt 200g), shredded
1 Medium Carrot, shredded
3g Cloud Ears, soaked, rinsed & shredded
1.5 – 2tsp Light Soy Sauce
1tsp Sesame Oil
Dash of White Ground Pepper
1tbsp Cooking Oil
1tbsp Parsley Leaves, chopped

Dumpling Skin Ingredients:
100g Wheat Flour@Tang Mein Flour
60g Tapioca Starch
Pinch of Salt
1tbsp Oil
220g Hot Boiling Water

Method:
1. To make the dumpling filling, heat the cooking oil into a frying pan. Add yam bean, carrot & cloud ears & stir & cook until soft.  Add light soy sauce, sesame oil & ground pepper to taste. Remove from heat & let to cool down completely.  Stir in parsley leaves.

2. To make the dumpling skin, add wheat flour, tapioca starch & salt into a mixing bowl. Stir to mix well.
3. With dough hook fitted, switch on stand mixer to medium high speed & let the dough hook to mix the flour. Add boiling water into the flour & knead until a dough is formed.
Tips:
1. The dough has to be mixed & kneaded with medium-high speed when the boiling water is added. Don’t use low speed.
2. The water must be boiling hot.

4. Add oil & continue to knead until a smooth & elastic dough is formed, about few minutes. Remove & very quickly, cover with a cling wrap. Let the dough to rest for 5 minutes.  
Note:
After adding the oil, the dough will tend to break into  pieces. Stop the machine & use your hand to knead the dough before continue kneading with the machine. Alternatively, you can knead by hand until a smooth & elastic dough is formed.  

5. Oil 2 heat-proof plates.
6. Divide & cut the dough into 18 portions.  Roughly roll into balls. Roll out on a slightly floured surface to about 2mm thickness. Use a 9cm cookie cutter to cut a circle.
If the dough is a bit sticky to work with, simply flour your hand & rolling pin with little bit of tapioca starch.

7. Place some dumpling filling onto the centre of the dumpling skin.  Fold to seal the dumpling. Click here to see how to fold a dumpling correctly. Thanks to Wendy from Table for 2 or More to share with us her way of folding.
8. Place the dumpling on an oiled plate. Repeat until all the dough is used. Remember to leave a gap between each dumpling.
9. Steam over high heat for 7 minutes. Serve hot.

Other Tip:
Use an oiled dough scrapper to move steamed dumplings for photography purpose.

Note: 
The wheat flour that is used in making the dumplings is different from the wheat flour that we use in baking or bread-making. This type of wheat flour is white in colour & you can get them from Asian store.


~Enjoy!~

54 comments:

  1. Oh these look absolutely delicious. I'm glad you make this eventhough I can't taste but I'm gonna make this one day. Don't think I will make it as beautiful as yours. I think I can eat more than 10pcs at a go......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, you are right, I had 11 of them, hahaha but there aren't that big! The folding needs practice to improve & I'm definitely going to try making them again in the future!

      Delete
  2. 我对那个捏边没有信心


    你的很成功哟:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I won't call it 100% successful but at least better than I thought! The folding needs lots of practice & I'm going to practice more!

      Delete
  3. 素饺包得很美叻!
    看了就想吃,可以包几片没有Parsley Leaves的给我吗,嘻嘻!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, sure no problem, I will get some for you, hahaha!

      Delete
  4. 朋友,看来肚子饿了啦!赶快拿几个来吃。。哈哈哈!

    你这红萝卜豆薯云耳看起来真的很赞叻,家里还有剩下一些登粉看几时勤劳时才做来吃。。嘻嘻!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, not sure whether we have time to sit down to do this together in the future?

      Delete
  5. Wow! Wow! Wow! I remember eating these dumplings when I was a kid. It was that long ago! Jessie, I feel like want some of your dumplings now, with lots of chilli sauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, I also thought of eating them with chilli sauce but at last, I just had them with non-spicy sauce! I actually never had this type of dumpling b4 I came here!

      Delete
  6. 你这粿皮晶莹剔透!很棒哦!!

    我昨天也做了这个,可是失败了。
    因我的澄面粉少了7g咯,我又不想为了7g而开一包新的,所以就用木薯粉代替,结果steam好的粿皮太chewy又无法保住那个shape。不过还好家人没有嫌弃,还是有把它们吃完咯。。。嘻嘻!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Myme, only 7g also makes such a difference? I will keep this in mind & will stick to the same recipe then. Do it next time & you will be successful!

      Delete
  7. I've tried this recipe before and taste very yummy. Can i have some from you? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass, yes, this skin is better than I thought. Imagine of using this skin to make "har gao!"

      Delete
  8. 放了好多蔬菜馅料,好想要吃!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 幸福滋味, there are still some extra vegetable left over after finish making the dumplings & I also finished eating them!

      Delete
  9. Jessie, 劳动节你竟然选择不去点心楼,自己在家做点心呀!真的非常勤劳也! 来,给我一个饺,好吃哦!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siew, we always go to eat dim sim, so there is no harm to miss one time, more importantly, I have this dumpling to make in mind, hahaha!

      Delete
  10. hi jessie, these are really nice! well done! i also made some dumplings 2 months back but didnot post cos they were too ugly! i really ought to practise more on the shaping!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I didn't have confidence to make this right in the 1st time. I had luck yesterday, hahaha! For me, I thought there was only 50% I will get them! Somehow, the folding needs a lot of practices. I can do right side better than left side!

      Delete
  11. Hi Jessie,

    I think Poh's Kitchen also has a recipe for this crystal steam dumplings in her website or apps. I would love to try cooking these dumplings too... Yours are beautiful!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, oh really? I don't know that, hope to see you trying her version & would like to compare the ingredients! The dumpling skin is really smooth & tastes better than the "teow chew dumpling" here! That is a surprise to me!

      Delete
  12. 看到这菜粿皮我就kek sim了,还学不会。。呵呵呵
    做么不去吃点心阿,我呀想到点心楼的糯米鸡我就betahan料。。。喀喀喀喀!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I also had dim sim at home, no difference lah. We always go to eat dim sim, so this time didn't go, next time can go again!

      Delete
  13. 我折的菜粿就是和你的是一样pattern的,
    我也喜欢joceline的肥肥菜粿,可是挑战失败(蒸熟了缝口会开嘴)。
    呜呜~~~~(>_<)~~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, let me go to see Joceline's dumpling again! Actually I want to make "har gao" prawn dumpling next time using the same recipe but I want to fold them like the restaurant, if I can't find video to see, then, I may want to fold the same way like these vegetarian dumplings again!

      Delete
  14. 好棒的Jessie,
    第一次就可以把这个粿做得这么漂亮。。。
    很透明也QQ的。。。而且还都是蔬菜的。。很健康!!

    看了我也很想吃呢!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 珊珊, indeed, healthy dumplings. I didn't have rice, just these dumplings yesterday, love it!

      Delete
  15. Hi Jessie, wow...can you please pass me few pieces, it look so delicious. Yours look so pretty ad neat, nice presentation too.

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, thank you but I still need to practice in folding!

      Delete
  16. Looks so beautiful Jessie! Love how translucent the skin is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, you should use the skin recipe to make "har gao" since you & yoru family love eating prawns. Making "har gao" is in my list now!

      Delete
  17. Jessie~~
    劳动节和当主妇没有关系吧。。。呵呵呵!!!
    很喜欢这饺子~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina, no difference, haha becoz we don't need to work on normal days!

      Delete
  18. I haven't tried making steamed dumplings. Your pics look good and thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheah, no worries, once I've started making them, I actually wanted to continue making becoz I want to improve the folding but somehow, finished using all the dough & i was running late for my lunch. Next time, there is always next time!

      Delete
  19. Hi Jessie, the dumpling skin is so beautifully done and you wrapped it so well. I also tried to make my own dumpling skin and I don't even dare to post it up because its so ugly :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I didn't have confidence at all to make them right & this is why I waited for so long to take the action.

      Delete
  20. 好透明的饺子。我是左手的,要和我一起捏吗?呵呵

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, let's get together & play masak-masak, this day will come or not? Hahaha!

      Delete
  21. 偷偷告诉你,我也是左手的哦!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "ngam lah ngam lah," now I have 2 kaki to make dumplings together!

      Delete
  22. Sorry I'm late... you know the reason, right?
    I love this healthy dumpling, look so transparent and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, what what what?Not sure but more importantly, you are here, hahaha! I know you are going to love these dumplings and I've reserved some for you, hahaha!

      Delete
  23. Hi Jess,
    Love your dumplings. Like the see through skin with all those colourdul fillings. Must be really yum yum.
    I write with my right hand but when it comes to baking I don't know why I uses my left hand. I can lend a hand to you too.. Hehe
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui Mui, good,now I've found 3 kaki to make dumplings with me!

      Delete
  24. 怎么菜糕吃完了,joceline的留言还不见呢?明明有留言的。嘻嘻嘻~ 也许是前几天我的blog有点小毛病!

    没关系,等我再做,再请你吃~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My blog also keeps showing a virus, sian! OK, waiting for you to treat me your dumplings!

      Delete
  25. Saw this at AFC. It's so beautiful! I made some a while ago and haven't made any since I'd posted about it. You've made me crave again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping, I also saw your scallop dish on AFC, hehehe!

      Delete
  26. yes, i tried Joceline recipe before, it was so good..

    ReplyDelete
  27. i will try this Jessie, i love dumplings, so is my family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice, looking forward to see your dumplings!

      Delete