Pages

Sunday, 10 June 2012

脆皮烧肉 + 把猪皮烤到脆脆的秘诀 Crispy Roast Pork Belly(Siew Yuk) + Tips to make Crispy Skin




Would you mind telling me how long is your list of recipes that you would like to try? Is it 1 page, 2 pages or more?  I used to have a long list but then it was all gone when my computer broke down a few months ago.  Now, the new list is about 1.5 pages long!  Today, my cooking is the Crispy Roast Pork Belly(Siew Yuk), a very famous dish in the Chinese community!  This recipe comes from my respective blogger friend, Sonia(Nasi Lemak Lover) & after reading her recipe a few months ago, I knew that I must give it a try in the future.

I haven’t roast pork belly before but I know that the trickiest part is how to make the skin crispy!  Thanks to Sonia, I’ve got to learn some important tips & they are:

TIP 1:
Pat dry the pork belly skin completely, season with salt & leave it in the fridge for hours(the best is for overnight) before cooking!
TIP 2:
Prick the skin of the pork belly as much as you can besides scoring it.  Use a skewer to do the job.  Do it before you refrigerate it & do it again before you cook it under the oven grill! Click here to view Sonia’s skewer.  If you don’t have one, you can now buy from her blog or you can consider of using one of these:

TIP 3:
Oven is used to cook the pork belly but it is the oven grill that makes the skin “blisters” & crispy!  When I removed my pork belly from the oven, the skin was just 5% “blistered” & 95% was done under the oven grill in just a few minutes! 

Every oven grill is different.  You may need to adjust the heat or grilling time in accordance to your oven grill. And size does matter here! My pork belly is small in size & this is why it took such a short time to cook the skin completely!

I’m able to find the model of my oven here.  It is a wall oven from Westinghouse & the oven grill comes separately which you can see it is under the oven with a separate door.
******************************************************************************
Delicious "Siew Yuk!"  I purposely slowed down when I was chewing the skin & I could feel that every part of the skin “popped out” nicely & they were soooooooooo crispy! Another reason I love this recipe so much is that the meat wasn't very salty compares to the store-bought pork belly! The store-bought pork belly(esp the bone parts) can be as salty as the salty eggs!

脆皮烧肉
Crispy Roast Pork Belly(Siew Yuk) 
Serves 2

Ingredients:
650g Pork Belly, washed
2tsp Salt

Seasonings:
½tsp Grated Garlic
½tsp Salt
¼tsp Five-Spices Powder
¼tsp Ground White Pepper

Method:
1. Blanch the pork belly in boiling water for 5-8 minutes.  The meat is not 100% cooked but that’s ok.
2. Pat dry with paper towel. Make sure that the meat & the skin are dry completely.
3. Use a skewer to prick the skin.  Prick it as much as you can.  When finish, use a sharp knife to score the skin gently.
4. Rub the skin with the salt.  Then, marinate the meat with the seasonings.  Do this carefully so the seasonings won’t get to the skin.
5. You will need a roasting tin with a wire rack over it. Place the pork belly, skin side up on the wire rack. Leave the meat uncovered & refrigerate overnight!
6. With the same position(skin side up), cook the meat in a 200C preheated oven  for approximately 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked.  Remove from the oven & turn on the oven grill to medium-high heat.  At this stage, the meat is cooked but the skin isn’t “blistered” completely.
7. Prick the skin again with a skewer but watch out as the pork belly is very hot.  Hold the pork belly with some paper towels when the pricking is done.  Place the pork belly under the oven grill & watch carefully as the skin will only take 1-3 minutes to cook!  Remove when the skin is all “blistered.” Wait till the meat cools down a bit, chop into bite-sized & serves immediately.
************************************************************************
Look at these vine tomatoes.  So fresh & so cute!

************************************************************************
We had the Pork Belly with boiled rice, some roasted vegetables & boiled sweet corns! There were Dutch carrots(baby carrots); baby potatoes; brown onions & vine tomatoes!
The roasted vegetables were cooked with my secret sauce recipe.

Jessie’s Secret Sauce Recipe:
2tbsp Honey
1tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
3tbsp Water

To roast the washed & cut(peeled)vegetables, simply drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with some salt & ground pepper. Pour in the secret sauce. Roast at 180C for 20 minutes.  Remove the vine tomatoes, spoon the sauce & pour over the vegetables, continue cooking for another 25-30 minutes or until the carrots & potatoes are cooked.

TIP:
Boil the potatoes for 5-10 minutes or until it is little bit soft to touch before roasting. Make a few cuts on the top of the potatoes. This can save you lots of time in roasting.
***********************************************************

I’m going to do a “Sonia” week of posting & my next 2 recipes also come from her blog! I want to thank her again for re-assuring me that there is nothing wrong to leave the blanched meat in the fridge for overnight though it wasn't cooked completely.  I was worrying that the meat would encourage the growth of some dangerous bacteria but I was just worrying too much!
~Enjoy!~

51 comments:

  1. 这个烧肉丝我一直再期待找天做到食谱。可惜我真的没有那个耐心做。
    现在看到你的,我又忍不住想做了。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, Sonia's recipe is good, if you really want to try, give this recipe a go! The skin guarantees crispy!

      Delete
  2. I used to make siew yoke very often in UK but back in KL, it's easier to buy than make! ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen:
      If I still live in M'sia, I don't think I'll cook at all, haha because I never enjoy cooking until I moved to Sydney!

      Delete
  3. Jessie, when I make this roast pork, I wipe and brush the excess salt away so that you will not get over salty pork. Oh you bought the DH chopping board? I also have the same one...isn't it the copping board cute? Looking fwd to your Sonia's week posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, yeah, sometimes, even my father-in-law's roasted pork belly could be quite salty but Sonia's recipe is very good. Like you can see here, I bought 2 small strips of pork belly for testing & they turned out so good that there wasn't enough for 4 of us to share! I'll buy the whole piece of pork belly next time(abt 1.3kg)!

      Oh, didn't I tell you b4 that I bought DH's mini chopping board? I got it soon after we had the very 1st discussion about the board(when you told me over the phone that you were going to make 1)! I used the same board for my roasted chicken wings & other recipes which I haven't posted! I must have forgotten to tell you!

      Did you buy her chopping board as well? Haha, I thought you already made a few woh? This mini board is so cute & I love using it so much! But it's a shame that it didn't come with the beautiful blue & chocolate paper box!

      Delete
  4. Oooohhh....looks sooooo delicious!! Your daughter must be really happy with the crispy skin! I would too! Can I come over for dinner? I love everything on your dinner table! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, Isabelle didn't eat much this round as I only bought 2 small strips of pork belly for testing! Next time, I'll buy a whole piece so the family can enjoy more!

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done! I could never do that ... at least not until I get myself a new oven. My old clunker doesn't even have a grill function. Poor me! I can only drool at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping, I can only use this oven for the next 3-4 weeks because I'm moving house & I can't take this oven with me!

      Delete
  6. walau...你连烧肉也会做,我服了你哦。。
    来。。来。。我爱吃烧肉,烧多些让我配你的独门酱料一起吃。。哈哈!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, actually it isn't that hard to do, may be it is even easier than making a swiss roll!

      Delete
  7. ohno...that's look so good! make me so hungry ><
    really want some "siew yuk" now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 烧肉我很少吃,吃的话,都是挑瘦肉的来吃。

    你的看起来真的好脆。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shan:
      You remind me of the days when I was younger, not eating any part of the meat fat at all but but, don't care, hehehe! It's ok to just eating once a blue moon but it's hard to control sometimes!

      Delete
  9. Jessie~~
    哇呕!!棒极了!!!这块肉,肥瘦适中哦!!^^
    很入味呢!!当然,我很喜欢你的烤菜哦~~
    这样的搭配,可以均衡蔬果肉类的摄取~~~
    呵呵^^赞哦!!小番茄很美。。^^在这里的市价比较高哦~~不过物有所值。。真的很好吃~~~
    把你的独门酱料偷走了。。。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina:
      Hmmm, here cost few aussie dollars for a pack of vine tomatoes, very reasonable(if I don't covert the money!

      Delete
  10. wow jessie, another delicious dishes u have made.

    hahaha, before u post this crispy siew yuk, i was sms with sonia and she told me u just text her and asking on this roast pork.
    looks like u hv master the techniques and get the perfect result ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, I know, Sonia told me that she was exchanging sms with you in regard of the girls night out! She must be busy on Sat morning, hahaha! I was asking her whether is ok to leave my uncooked meat in the fridge for overnight!

      Delete
  11. Adoi...Jessie! I will go to my healthy pork shop this weekend and get the pork belly. Can't wait to try this. I am so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong:
      Bad influence from me, hehehe!

      Delete
  12. 厉害叻!这烧肉看起来很脆口。
    其实我也做过这美味的烧肉,可惜是失败版的。。。。呵呵!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, try again, I'm sure you will get it right next time. 把猪皮当著是仇人,拿叉一直叉它就是了!听起来是不是有点暴力呢

      Delete
  13. thanks for all your tips here! yeah, siu yuk is also one listed on my list..so many bookmarked recipes that even sometimes i have difficulty finding it, hv to slowly scroll down the list and look carefully! also thanks for sharing your secret sauce recipe..now no more secret!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena:
      I'm glad that I have overcome the fear to cook this "siew yuk" & now I can say I'm not afraid of cooking it anymore, hehehe!

      Delete
  14. wow...your siew yuk very nice lor! can feel the skin must be very crispy!
    you make me hungry, 5555........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey:
      Eh, I don't lie, the skin was perfectly cooked, really really crispy!

      Delete
  15. Your roast pork makes me drool!! I think I should quit dieting la!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. myme:
      Haha, I'm so naughty to tempt you with this "siew yuk!"

      Delete
  16. Dear, I am so touch by you doing Sonia posting week, thank you so much of your mentioned. By appreciate for your support, I would like to give you the roast pork skewer as a gift, will pass to Helena. You can do faster job by using my skewer because it has more needles than yours..I like how you enjoy this roast pork with roast vegetable with your special sauce, I must try out soon.
    Greeting from Kyoto Japan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia:
      I thank you for your support & prompt reply to my "SOS" phone text on last Sat, hahaha! Kyoto now? Awesome! It is a place full of culture. Hope you can still see some sakura there? Have a great holiday there!

      Delete
  17. 哇~~~光看这烧肉就知道好好吃,吃下去一定会有咔滋咔滋声音。O~~~~SO~~GOOD。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Loy,
      Absolutely, full of 咔滋咔滋声音!

      Delete
  18. Hi Jessie, pass me 1 plate of your siew yoke. It look sooo.... delicious and very professional. 2 thumbs up for you!

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia:
      The supermarket here also sells pork skin only, hahaha! I know it will be sick if I just grill the pork skin but tempting!

      Delete
  19. Yummy! Thank you for showing how to get the pork really crispy - great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, new friend, thanks for the message! If you do try this, pls let me know, ok?

      Delete
  20. 哇!妳让贪吃的我留口水了咧!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spdong:
      Nevermind, I have tissue paper standby here!

      Delete
  21. These are great tips! Thanks for telling us your "trade secrets"... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, hai, I was only "playing," there is no secret!

      Delete
  22. Hi Jess,
    I loveeee...siew yoke very much but fat fat o...lol
    Great tips you have given and also great tutorial pictures.
    I especially love your Jessie's secret recipe sauce and roast vegetables.
    Can I have some please?..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui Mui, I know, why most of the tasty food have to be fattening?

      Delete
  23. Jessie, I made the siew yoke and got the blister bits but my meat part was very hard. How come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply, I just came back from a long vocation! About your issue,the possible reasons may be due to:1)the meat was over-cooked 2)not enough fat for your pork belly? I would like to try this roasted pork belly again in the future & next time, I will try a bigger piece of meat & will roast it in full size & chop it after cooking. For this cooking, I bought 2 strips of pork belly.

      Delete
  24. Utawe itom wogisuvaha hajegas qikovi idib Stronger Erections cer sip asulihas yozehegan woxovij. Mobalocu wuyozotaw, o i edeqon codac, okibevi vuta ehivohiceg e.
    My website: Stronger Erections

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jessie, I planning to bake this for Christmas, how long will the siew yuk crispy skin can last? 4-5 hrs?
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soh, I didn't really time b4. For my oven, I can always re-grill at anytime to make the skin turn crispy again. I normally turn up the temp to max for 15-20 minutes, then turn off the heat & put in the siew yok, the skin will turn crispy after a while. But my friend from Malaysia told me that her oven can't do such thing.

      Delete
    2. My suggestion is to grill them in proper sizes. Too large will take a lot of time to cook.

      Delete
  26. Hi, thank you for your advice, this is 1st time I am planning to cook for my family, worry to spend too long time to prepare the dishes.
    I will take your suggestion.
    Have a nice day ahead!

    ReplyDelete