Pages

Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Bubur Cha Cha with QQ Tapioca Jellies 摩摩喳喳+QQ 地瓜圆


Bubur Cha Cha is one of the dessert soups which I miss a lot since I’ve left my hometown to further my studies in Kuala Lumpur 18 years ago. I can’t recall whether mum cooked this dessert soup before(she isn’t a good cook) but one thing for sure is that she doesn’t know how to make the tapioca jellies.  Recently, I saw Amelia(Amelia De-ssert) made her Nyonya Bubur Cha Cha but it was Eileen(eileen记事本)’s Sweet Potato Dessert Soup that has given me a big motivation to cook this Bubur Cha Cha for the 1st time. I was totally attracted by her homemade Purple Sweet Potato Tapioca Jellies(地瓜圆)!  Tapioca jelly is something that I’ve planned to learn to make for a long time & it couldn’t be better than making this with my favourite purple sweet potato! The texture of these jellies are very Q(springy) & they taste just as good as those from the Meet Fresh(鲜芋仙) & ZenQ Desserts(仙Q甜品)!


Purple Sweet Potato Tapioca Jelly
QQ 地瓜圆

100g Purple Sweet Potato, cut in cubes
50g Tapioca Flour
10g Caster Sugar
2-3tbsp Water

Method:
1. Steam sweet potato until cooked. Mash when it is still hot.
2. Place mashed sweet potato, flour, sugar & water(gradually) in a bowl. Mix until they are well-combined & a smooth, non-stick(but still moist) dough is formed. 
TIP:
My steamed sweet potato was dry so I added some water in the mixture.  You may not need to add water but if you do, please add 1tbsp at a time.  If the dough is too dry, it will break into pieces during shaping, then, add water gradually. But if the dough is too sticky, add in more flour.
3. Divide the dough into 3-4 portions & roll on a slightly floured surface to form a long sausage for each portion.  Cut into 1cm cubes.
4. Bring a pot of water to boil.  Add in the cut dough & cook until they float up.
Amelia’s TIPs:
Remember to stir occasionally to prevent the jellies from sticking together.Soak the tapioca jellies in room temperature water.  This is to prevent the jellies from further cooking & again, to prevent the jellies from sticking together.

****************************************************************************
Bubur Cha Cha
摩摩喳喳
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
250g Orange Sweet Potato, cut in cubes
150g Purple Sweet Potato, cut in cubes
300g Taro, cut in cubes
50g Sago
100g Black Eye Beans(soaked in water, overnight)
Purple Sweet Potato Tapioca Jellies
120g-150g Caster Sugar
1tsp Salt
2 Pandan Leaves, washed & tied in a knot
Abt 1.5cups Coconut Cream(I used Kara UHT Coconut Cream as the Ayam’s brand doesn’t look & taste as good as Kara).

Method:
1. Cook the black eye beans in a pot of boiling water until soft.  In a separate pot, cook the sago until translucent. Scoop out the sago & leave to cool down.
Tip:
Once the sago has cooled down, soak them in room temperature water to prevent them from sticking together.
2. Steam sweet potatoes & taro until cooked.
3. Fill in a large pot with 1.5 litres of water. Add in the pandan leaves & bring it to boil.  With low-medium heat, add sugar & salt. Stir to dissolve the sugar & salt.  Add the black eye beans, the sweet potatoes & taro & cook for 5-10 minutes. Add coconut cream & cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Serve with sago & tapioca jellies

****************************************************************************

 ****************************************************************************
Winter is the time when we usually visit the doctor more than our own friends.  Isabelle has ear infection & she is taking the antibiotics now & looks like Ethan is having some kind of viral infection too & tomorrow I have to take him to see a doctor.   On the other hand, our carton boxes have arrived in this afternoon which means that I can start packing more seriously than before!  So, I’m going to take a few days off from blogging.  Sorry if I won’t be able to visit your blog like usual but I will come back after a short break 

Enjoy & Take Care, My Friends!

54 comments:

  1. Hi Jessie, your bubur cha cha sure taste delicious with so much ingredients. Love the purple sweet potato tapioca jelly.

    Thanks for the mention.
    Take care and enjoy your new home.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, I'm so glad to make this finally! Next time when I call my mum, I can proudly tell her that I've also learned to make the tapioca jelly. Actually after opening this food blog, I've learned so much & I always share this with mum over the phone!

      Delete
  2. I had the 地瓜圆when i went to Taiwan this year. Very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass, is there any Taiwanese dessert shop in S'pore? The Meet Fresh has opened many branches in Australia & if I'm not mistaken, Malaysia also has the same shop. After eating their signature dishes always remind me of our Malaysian Bubur Cha Cha. My version of the 地瓜圆 is not sweet, you can try the recipe.

      Delete
  3. 哇。。好多料的摩摩喳喳!那紫色的地瓜圆看起来很Q,下次我也要试试做,我好像没有吃过哦,SG这里的摩摩喳喳都没有放地瓜圆的哦。小朋友生病,妈妈最辛苦了,你也要好好照顾自己哦!Take Care & Happy Packing ^o^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. myme, the tapioca jellies seem to be easy to make, just like the "tang yuan." I enjoyed of making them. Packed 3 boxes in 2.5hours this afternoon while both the children were asleep. We bought 25 boxes all together, still a long way to pack, hahaha!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow! I'm drooling over your super delicious Bubur cha-cha! Finally you've found the purple color sweet potatoes to make this recipe! Love this colorful bubur cah-cha & those sago are all so inviting! Aiyaa! now I wanna make too! Have to go to Chinatown to get all ingredients! Can't wait & craving now! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit, you know all the while I only used the frozen Vietnamese purple cassava to make my asian dessert. Recently, I asked my mother-in-law where can I find them, she told me that now is the season for these purple sweet potato & they are available in some of the asian grocery shops & some fruit markets. My MIL bought me these sweet potatoes!

      Delete
  5. I'm intriqued by your sweet potato jelly too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheah, my hometown bubur cha cha used the plain tapioca jellies, this one uses purple sweet potato, very special. I'm so glad that I've found a good recipe!

      Delete
  6. Jessie, this is fabulous! Perfect dessert for hot day. I also love bubur cha cha but never tried making it. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration. I want to make this for my next family gathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, thanks you like it! Let me know after you've cooked this dessert soup, ok?

      Delete
  7. 哟!这糖水真好吃,请我吃一碗。。。。

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I give you 2 bowls, my dear friend!

      Delete
  8. Bubur Cha Cha我喜欢,你放了那么多好料,一定好好吃,请我一碗,ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, I know. I was so greedy, kept pouring the ingredients into the bowls, nearly spilt.

      Delete
  9. That's unusually nice ... those purple sweet potato jellies. The purple sweet potatoes are normally left as it is and I'm already happy with it. I do love those tapioca chewy stuff so this is a 2 in 1 bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping:
      I cut the sweet potatoes & the taro a way too small so at the end, most of them had become tiny pieces. No experience b4 but I know what I'm going to do in the future. My parents-in-law love this "tong shui" very much, I'll definitely make again in the future!

      Delete
  10. Oh are those your kid's bowls? So cute. I love bubur cha cha... used to eat it a lot when I was younger in my hometown, havent found a good one in KL near my home yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, hahaha! No, these bowls are mine, only for photo taking purpose. They are just small bowls & they are when you use them in taking photos. I've got them from my friend's shop in Sydney Daiso. Thanks to him for opening the 1st Daiso in Sydney. I love shopping there once a while. This Sydney's franchise is few times bigger than the one in 1 Utama & have more stuffs to look for!

      Delete
  11. 好棒的摩摩喳喳+QQ地瓜圆,看到我口水流不停。。。
    请我吃两三碗。。可以吗???

    以前在台湾念书的时候,那里余头,地瓜圆很出名很好吃的。。。
    我实在是很想念咯!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 珊珊, that's right. Actually there are many Taiwanese dessert shops in Sydney. After eating their 余头,地瓜圆, it just reminds me of the our bubur cha cha. I miss my hometown's bubur cha cha very much. Now I know how to cook, very convenience!

      Delete
  12. wow, ur dessert looks so tempting, i want a big bowl with the QQ地瓜圆,yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eileen: must thank you for the great recipe. very useful to me!

      Delete
  13. YUM, Jessie! Would love to have a bowl of this right now. It looks great and the sweet potato tapioca jelly sound really nice! I've never had them before, but anything with sweet potato is my love =P haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dumpling Love, I think some hong kees do know about this "tong shui" as my mother-in-law(who is from HK) has made a simplify version b4. She normally cooked taro & sago in coconut cream.

      Delete
  14. 口水流满地了,快快给我一碗摩摩喳喳。。 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy, ok ok, how about a big bowl + lots of tissue paper, hehehe!

      Delete
  15. 我好喜欢吃这 QQ 的小东西,可是我懒得搓面团。先吃你做的啦!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cherry potato, not hard, just like making "tang yuan," ask your mum, you maid, your auntie, you sisters, your sister-in-law to help, hahaha!

      Delete
  16. 早上才和同事提起摩摩喳喳,转头就看到你的摩摩喳喳了!加上QQ的粉圆!太太太吸引我了啦~~~~~看来要想办法做来吃才行了!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oui, little ghost, so "ngum" huh? Come come come, you can have a bowl as well, but only visually!

      Delete
  17. wah, your bubur chacha has so many ingredients, i like a bowl of cold one with a lot of potato tapioca jellies...:)
    take care of yourself and happy packing...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherleen, yaloh, in summer can have cold version, as for us, the hot one just good enough to kill the cold weather!

      Delete
  18. 哇,很饱满的料哦
    你的粉圆一定qq的:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 鲸鱼, 1st time of making these tapioca jellies, easier than I thought. I'm very happy with it. Can't wait to tell my mum abt my bubur cha cha!

      Delete
  19. So long never have Babur cha cha already ...miss it so much. Love to see the purple and orange colour potatoes they make the chacha looks so beautiful and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Li Shuan, you see huh, I was so desperate looking for purple sweet potato so I asked my MIL where can I get them, at last she bought some for me, hahaha. She said we can find them very easily at this time. So, I better make the best use of it!

      Delete
  20. hi jessie, your bubur cha2 has a lot of 'liew' ..yum! and i also love eating those jellies. Over there, you see doc more often in winter..here we see doc more often now hazy period..terrible..my throat and nose are getting uncomfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena:
      Yes, I'm joining the sick club now, lost my voice & throat is not well. But still need to pack, hai! All joints are sore too!

      Delete
  21. Hi Jess,
    Your(Jessie鲜芋仙)bubur cha cha got so much ingredients must be really delish!
    I especially love this sago of yours. They looks translucent and nice..yum yum..: )
    Can I have a bowl please?...;p
    Aiyo yo..we know you are moving..if you can't visit we come visit you then..hehe
    While waiting for you to be back...^^
    happy packing and take care...: )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui Mui, thanks for you wishes. You take care too. Will come to visit your blog after the packing is all done.

      Delete
  22. the purple yam look beautiful in your bubur cha cha..take good care of your kids and see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, ready for the girls day out? Envy envy!

      Delete
  23. i love bo bo cha cha! now i feel like making too!
    take care of yourself, mummy is needed more than ever when kids are sick
    hope they recover soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi girl, thanks for the good wishes, this is what I need!

      Delete
  24. I'm deeply attracted by purple jellies of your dessert. My son loves QQ food and I think he will love chewing these jellies very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe:
      These tapioca jellies are quite versatile & you can add them in any kind of dessert soup that you like!

      Delete
  25. Hi, good day 2 u...

    waht a lovely bubur cha-cha.. impress with your space.. do drop by at my space anytime.. take a look on my verssion of bubur cha-cha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, my dear friend, thanks for the visit. I'll definitely check out your bubur cha cha!

      Delete
  26. jessie,你好了吗?好好休息啊!
    这个momo chacha是我的最爱。有空,我也想来尝试一下。我的‘旧家’出了问题,无法进到。需要时间,等我弟弟回来帮我看看。
    所以我建了新家,xucaca-life.blogspot.com. 欢迎光临啊!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, a new house, sounds interesting! I'll go to have a look!

      Delete
  27. Jessie, long time no see (virtually). How are you? Looks like you are still having lots of fun in the kitchen and churning out fabulous dishes, bakes and desserts. Bubur cha cha is my No.1 favorite "tong sui". The purple tapioca jellies look fantastic. Wish I can have a bowl right now. You never stop amazing me with your food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are you now,US or M'sia!I feel sorry for not visiting your blog for a while but I'll promise will read every single posting that I've missed out recently!Tk cr!

      Delete