Pages

Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Almond Tuiles 杏仁瓦片


Bonjour, everyone!  Today I’m going to share with you the recipe of a French biscuit called Almond Tuile or Tuiles in plural.  Tuile is pronounced as tweel in English & it means roof tile in French. The reason why this biscuit was named after the roof tile is very simple, it is because the curved shape of the biscuit looks like a roof tile!

I have been thinking to make this Almond Tuiles for more than 2 months but then,there was always something else popping out in my mind untill recently after baking the Chocolate & Raspberry Custards for my friends,there were 4 extra egg whites “sitting” in my fridge & at that time,I knew that it was the time to try out the recipes!

Friends,you must try baking this yourself to understand how tasty they are!Crispy?YES!Delicious?Yes Yes! I baked 3 rounds in 5 days! I gave some to my parents-in-law,yes,they love it! My MIL told me that if I’m going to bake something for them in the near future,it must be the Almond Tuiles,hehehe!And the funny thing is that when I brought over my Choc Custards to my gf’s place the other day,her aunty was there & because her aunty is a great cook,I mentioned to her that I used the left over egg whites to make this biscuits & you know what happened next? Aunt wanted me to demonstrate to her as to how to make them.So,in the next hour,we(all the ladies) went to aunt’s house to bake this Almond Tuiles!Luckily I didn’t disappoint them,aunt’s family love them too!

Almond Tuiles 
杏仁瓦片
(Using Eupho Cafe & Eileen recipes with minor adjustments)
Makes 42 slices

Ingredients:
100g Egg Whites, room temperature(3-4 Egg Whites depends on the size of the eggs)
55-60g Caster Sugar
40g Canola Oil/Corn Oil/Salad Oil ***See Note 1***
30g Pure Cake Flour(no raising agent)/Plain Flour, sifted
Pinch of Salt
120g Flaked Almonds

How to make:
1. Hand whisk egg whites,sugar & salt in a clean & dry bowl till sugar is all dissolved. This takes about 3 minutes.
2. Add flour. Continue to hand whisk till batter becomes smooth & no fine crumbs.Use your finger tip to feel the batter,if there are fine crumbs,use your finger tip to break it.
3. Add oil & mix to combine well.

4. Preheat oven at 150C(fan forced). Line a sheet of non-stick baking paper on 2 baking trays. 
5. Place a 6.5cm round cookie cutter/egg ring on the 1st baking tray.Place 1 teaspoon of batter into the cutter & shape a thin round layer with your finger tip. If using egg ring to shape, you need slightly more than 1tsp. I used a small medal tea spoon, not the measurement spoon. Sprinkle some flaked almonds/pepitas on top of the batter.
TIP:
I found out that the spreading job becomes easier with the use of a cutter/egg ring. The thinner the biscuits, the crispier & better they taste, esp on the next baking day!

6. Repeat Step 5 until the 1st baking tray is fully utilized. Remember to leave a gap between the biscuit batter. 1cm is good enough.

7. Bake for about 13-15minutes or till most parts of the biscuits become golden brown.
8. Very quickly, remove the biscuits with a palette knife & place some on a rolling pin/small flask/glass,press gently on the sides to make a tuile shape.
TIP:
This has to be done as soon as the biscuits are removed from the oven. Wait for 20 seconds & the biscuits will become crispy & impossible to shape. 

9.Place the rest of the biscuits on a wire rack to cool completely.
TIP:
It is said that the biscuits have to be removed from the baking paper while they are still hot.


10.Repeat Step 5-9 until all the batter is used.


Tip:
1. Don't mix the flaked almonds/pepitas with the batter. Only sprinkle them on top. By doing this, you can enjoy a thin layer of crispy tuile with lots of crunchy toppings.
2. I personally think that olive oil is not a good choice in making these biscuits because it has a strong smell which will cover the fragance of the egg .


15 comments:

  1. Bonjour~~~ Jessy!*^-^*
    (这句话有一种熟悉的感觉,女儿每次看Beauty and the Beast一开场就有的对白,哈哈!)

    不好意思,平时都只是潜水看你,因为。。。英文水平不是那么好,怕写错字!哈哈~ 因为看了你的鸡蛋糕有朋友也用华语来留言,顿时脑经才一亮!所以我来了~~~ ^^

    真的很喜欢这杏仁瓦片,家姑有做,我曾跟她要食谱想做来吃,可是一句她夫家食谱。。。。听了心都冷了!@~@''

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna Tay:
    Yoh,I should have told you earlier that I know in writing Chinese. I was chinese educated but hoh why I didn't write chinese in my blog now, because it takes too much of time. So that's why I write in English. You write in chinese/english/malay also no problem, hahaha but I hope I still remember malay.

    I've studied a lot of recipes for this biscuits. And I think that this one is great! When you have time you can try it. If you don;t have so much of time, cut all ingredients into 1/2 & use 30g of caster sugar. 50G of egg white will make about 20 slices, depends on the size of the cookie cutter you use!

    Strongly recommend you to use a tool to shape the biscuits because my 1st round was done with fingers. Too hard to shape & took too much of time because I wanted them to look as round as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe,我喜欢这个饼干
    你的好薄好脆哦:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessie, I love this almond tuiles very much but haven't done this for long long time. Drop by to steal a few from you. You must be spending alot of time in your kitchen making these tiles ..hehe...But horr ..worth it lah.. they are really crispy and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessie
    这我也喜欢,但听说不那么容易做。。
    可是你却烘得很美。。。
    want become sifu liao...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. 又被你这个杏仁瓦片给吸引了,你真的好棒啊!什么都做的美美的。羡慕咯!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yahoo~ good~~ 英文我能看,华语我能写!那么一言为定。。。下次这就是我们聊天的方式。。。malay就免了吧!^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessie,
    这薄饼我好像在qiqi家也看过涅!
    你做得也蛮不错,很薄涅!看起来应该是蛮好吃的~:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 做这款饼干,烤箱要够大吧!?
    像我家34L的烤箱,
    恐怕得烘到天荒地老了!哈哈~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't understand Malay, can teach me or not... :D
    I made this before but with melted butter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 鲸鱼蓝蓝蓝:
    Yeah, they were very crispy & I've reduced the sugar. I did 3 rounds, so every time I used different amount of sugar & tested to see which one I like most!

    Li Shuan:
    Sure, girl, take as much as you want

    Mandy:
    Easy, easy, don't scare other people, hahaha. Really easy. I demonstrated to my friends how to do it & after an hour, we enjoyed eating them.

    彩芳:
    哪里,哪里!我在學習中。不過這個真的很好吃!

    Anna:
    Sure, we pay each other a visit, ok?

    spdong:
    You know me, I don't lie to you want. They are very tasty!

    Qi Qi in the house:
    Cut 1/2 of the ingredients then the problem is solved, hahaha. spdong said you've made b4 woh, is it really?

    Ann:
    Yoh, no need to learn Malay, it isn't popular. I've given all my Malay to my teachers, hehehe.
    I've studied many different recipes b4 I finally chose Eupho Cafe+Eileen but that was like 3 months ago. I studied all the tips like usual to make sure that what to expect during the process of baking & it was fun! Would like to bake more in the future coz my family loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WL: I also tried your almond tuiles ( before baking my bakkwa for second time ), but, quite a good experiment. I did not lay a baking sheet, instead, I just use an ice creme scoop to pour the mixture directly to caphalon non-stick baking tray. It took me some time to take the pieces off, and they harden so fast that I hardly can removed all of them before they harden. But, the shape doesn't matter, they taste great and are cripsy. Just few are too thick in the middle part. Will bake again...trial and error. - SE

    ReplyDelete
  13. SE:
    I also just baked them on Wed's night & is going to give most of them to our high school friend, Christella Loo, do you still remember her? Used 6 egg white & I think I was able to make like 52 pieces. This was my 4th round.

    I'm also using a non-stick baking tray to bake but insisted must line with some non-stick baking paper. Very easy to remove them after taking out from the oven, so you can try this as well, just line some non-stick baking papers on your caphalon baking tray.

    Have to be patience when it comes to spreading. Egg white must be a thin layer, just enough to cover the cookie cutter(if you are using 1) & scoop out even there is only little bit of extra on the topping. Then, the biscuits will stay crispy for days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jessie! Your tuiles certainly look the best! Pls share how i can be print it out. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Regina, sorry for the late reply as I have been away and have not checked my Blog since then. My blog's design doesn't support the Recipes print-out feature, so sorry.

      Delete